Thursday, October 18, 2012

"The Fort" Book Review


Good day!  

Aside from the usual 18th century news we would like to expand the blog to cover a broad range of topics. One of those topics is a good old book review! Now do keep in mind I am average Joe history buff and not a scholarly critic…but I will do my best to explore this book and present my findings.




Today’s blog entry is a book review of “The Fort,” (2010) a fascinating and forgotten subject brought back to life by renown historical fiction author Bernard Cornwell.   
This novel stood out for me for a multitude of reasons.   After having read the Richard Sharpe series I was expecting a hero, a villain, and a triumphant victory…not that there is anything wrong with that normal story plot!  This book took a road less traveled.  Never before had I even heard about the Penobscot expedition and I considered myself well versed in the Revolutionary war.  This little known invasion caused much stir in the relatively quiet northern theater in 1779 and caused a massive counter thrust by the Americans, the like of which had never been seen before.  Have you ever heard of New Ireland?
Bernard Cornwell’s excellent character development led to a whole new light being shed on some well know and lesser known figures.   What struck me as really fascinating was Sir John Moore…or should I say Lt. John Moore?  I knew of his fame at Corunna (1809) and had heard of his great leadership (and death!) but had no idea he fought in the American Revolution…let alone at this most interesting and forgotten battle. Cornwell’s description of Lt. Moore fits in with his style of the young officer he portrays so well in the Sharpe series.   When reading this I wasn’t sure what roll he would play and was very pleased with Moore’s outcome.
Paul Revere:  Everyone knows his name and knows his midnight ride, but how many know he was in charge of the Massachusetts State Artillery?   I sure didn’t.  This was a very shocking part of the book for me.  While yes this is historical fiction, you really get the feeling Cornwell has done this right. The facts point to it, and gosh does it change the way you think about Paul Revere.
I very much enjoyed this book. I was disappointed but not in the writing or quality of book, but rather with the history.  After every page I figured the next would bring great news after fierce battle…and while the battle was fierce, there wasn’t such great news. The fact most of the fighting was between Militia and Redcoat (with a handful of ever useful Marines,) made for an interesting story that DID add an extra element of surprise. 
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Bernard Cornwell, and to any history buff trying to broaden their horizon with the tale of a lesser known event.  This book is a great way to introduce someone into American Revolutionary history as well.  Always enjoyable, always engaging, I cannot wait to see what Bernard Cornwell has in store for us next! 

-Private Christophani

No comments:

Post a Comment